Quick recap of the weekend:
Day 1: Friday night, arrive at Chops' party pad in Frankfort, head out almost immediately for RED DOT LIQUOR to pick up some brand of beer that I've forgotten but I'm sure Andrew will helpfully chime in with, plus a bottle of bourbon. From there, it was on to Hardee's, as we began a weekend chock full of food options not readily available in Columbus. Mandy came over, and the five of us drank, smoked, and watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Barb Wire, including fifteen minutes of "Sexy Bonus Footage" consisting entirely of Pam Anderson swinging on some kind of pole with an open shirt, being blasted with water cannons. In 1996, mind you, so this wasn't bad at all. I fell asleep during this film.
Day 2: Off to Shoney's for the "breakfast trough" if Andrew is to be believed. Sketchy name aside, this was excellent, as by the time I was finished piling my plate, I had forgotten some of the things in the middle. Each bite was a delicious surprise. "Hey, what's up, fried apples? I didn't know YOU were in there." Disaster almost struck early as Renkes confused clam chowder for sausage gravy, but he manned up and gutted it out. Anyone but him and I think they would have just cut their losses and started fresh. Not this guy. From there, we went on a Bourbon Tour at Buffalo Trace distillery. Is that the right term? Distillery? Whatever. It was a fascinating look at rural alcoholism though. Next, were were away to Louisville, home of Jim Cornette, awesomely named baseball bats, and ear X-tacy, a perfectly fine record store that is more famous than it deserves to be in this man's opinion. Seriously shitty used hip-hop section. Andrew may still be upstairs with the new vinyl. Renkes and I grew bored with this place and wandered on down the road to a neat little games/DVDs/CDs/vinyl/book/everything store that was selling a STAR WARS FOOSBALL SET for entirely too much money. Back to the apartment, and a great gumbo was concoted by Mr. Renkes, full of chicken, sausage, and rice. And then smothered with tobasco sauce. Fantastic cuisine. More beer followed, and then a viewing of Beerfest accompanied by a drinking game. Andrew got rowdy and began throwing cookies and peanuts at my head. I handled this by choking him out. Then I fell asleep.
DAY 3: No Taco John's, but we did end up at Backyard Burger for lunch, which was pretty excellent. Beyond that, just a long trip back to Columbus while listening to a masturbatory People Under the Stairs album and a not quite as mastubratory Pete Rock and CL Smooth album. Disappointment!
Great trip overall though, and it was definitely nice to see Chops and Mandy.
Not a lot of wackiness in this here update, as it's mostly for my benefit. It'll be nice to look back in a month and actually remember what I did in Kentucky, na'mean?
You know, I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but it's now NINE DAYS until The Office Season 3 arrives. Single digits, dog!

Stop, husband James Gunn. Andy looks like he's about to tell me a fascinating story about how amazing it was that nobody puked all weekend!

1 comment:
We drank Old Style Friday night and the superior Old Style Light on Saturday night. Renkes loves Old Style for it is the official beer of Wrigley Field.
Distillery is the correct term.
Kinda sad I missed Barb Wire, and that my memory missed ATHF.
Good trip. I'm glad two hip-hop albums didn't quite ruin the trip for you.
Post a Comment