Monday, October 08, 2007

The Undertaker is Awesome. Only wrestling nerds and/or fans of comedy need apply

Since getting the WWE 24/7 gimmick last month, I really haven't taken advantage of it as much as I should have. Sure, I've watched a few matches here and there, and I try to catch the old ECW Hardcore TV episodes and whatnot, but all in all, there's too much stuff eating up space on my DVR to really give it my full attention. I did, however, watch a couple hours of vintage wrestling today. And I'd like to think that it more than makes up for whatever I've missed out on so far.

I watched TOMBSTONE: THE BEST OF THE UNDERTAKER. It is AWESOME. There's so much stuff I'd either forgotten or only read/heard about second-hand from his early years. Being managed initially by Brother Love, how insane the crowd was for him when he beat a supposedly babyface Hulk Hogan for the WWF title, the undeniable ruliness of Paul Bearer at ringside ("OHHHH YES!"). All these things and more came rushing back to me in a torrent of greatness. I even got to see a match (full version, no clipping!) that I'd never seen before. Royal Rumble 1994: Undertaker versus Yokozuna for the WWF title in a CASKET MATCH. This ruled so hard. It was everything great about professional wrestling and everything terrible about professional wrestling all rolled into a neat, twenty-five minute package. And everything that was terrible was also hilarious, so it balanced out. For instance, terrible: Yokozuna being so fat he had to get off to a running start to roll into the ring. Great: The fact that this crowd was absolutely electric for the whole thing, regardless of the obese champion's trials and tribulations. Terrible: The fact that it took roughly ten heels to finally get Undertaker into the casket (and this was after he'd made about six comebacks on all of them). Even more terrible (and thus funnier): The "inside the casket" footage of Undertaker reciting a soliloquy about the nature of man and the spirit of the Undertaker living on. MOST TERRIBLE (and thus FUNNIEST): The Undertaker ascending into Heaven. If I remember correctly, it was actually Marty Jannetty in the Undertaker's gear (seeing as Undertaker was still in the casket).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This alone made my day. Thanks, Columbus Day! Thanks, Undertaker!

Oh, almost forgot. Tomorrow, October 9th, is Broin' Down 5: OctoBROfest, starting at 7 pm at Ruby Tuesday. Be there or be... not... there. Peace.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Jenna Fischer: Probably an Undertaker fan.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You know who IS an Undertaker fan? Robby Krieger of The Doors. I watched footage of him playing "Roadhouse Blues" with Creed at Woodstock '99, and not only did he wear YELLOW PANTS~!, but he also wore an Undertaker t-shirt. Odd but incredible.

P.S. - I hate making spelling mistakes and removed the first post to make a correction. I'm a lunatic.

Andy said...

I can see old men being Undertaker fans. He's old and kickin' ass. And it's not like Flair or Hogan, where you look at them and think they're going to shatter. Undertaker is old, but I know he could kill me.

Unknown said...

Undertaker would never kill you, man. It is akin to Sloth and Chunk.

That was the match that they promo'ed on Live With Regis & Kathy Lee. I feel like I've told you about that, but they ended up wheeling Regis off in the oversize casket, and they dutifully ignored Kathy Lee's attempts to be a snarky "you're just faking" bitch. It was hella good TV.

Andy said...

You've told that story many a time, but it's a GREAT story so it deserves to be retold many a time. In fact, in honor of it, I'll try to find a picture from that appearance to post in today's entry.

Unknown said...

every one thinks that they are best in the wwe i say they might be in world...but undertaker as universal truth is that undertaker or dead man is best in the whole universe thats only one..............._"The Undertakerrrrrrrrrr"