Sunday, November 09, 2008

A History Lesson, and More of My Lovely Dreams

I now have two voice mails from Chops that I will never, ever delete.

iTunes has been bugging me for some time to upgrade my version, so I finally obliged, and you know what? I immediately turned off both of the more obvious new features and am now back looking at a layout exactly like the one I'd been happily using since I got my iPod two years ago. This is like when AIM upgraded to 6.0 or whatever it was, and everything got more colorful and stupid.

Hey, guess what today is?

Photobucket

That's right! It's the 11th anniversary of the most famous wrestling match finish since the 1911 Gotch/Hackenschmidt rematch. Incredibly, WWE has actually backed off the constant references to The Montreal Screwjob in recent times, though like Dracula at the end of one of his movies, never, ever count them out.

Photobucket
Was Referee Smith in on the fix!? Probably not.

I was napping this lovely Sunday afternoon, and had a dream about being in the basement of my church, talking to my mother and Bob Sapp.


Photobucket
I'd originally found an animated gif of him shaking his head back and forth, but deemed it too horrifying/dizzying.

So we're sitting there chatting, when in walks in THE BIG BOSSMAN. I knew he was dead, however, and pointed this out to him as he strode across the room. No reaction from the Cobb County, Georgia native. He sat in a chair, at which point I yelled. "Shut up and listen to me! I have feelings too!" The Bossman looked at me with utter contempt, stood up, and went to the elevator that doesn't exist in my actual church's basement. I asked my mom what he was doing, and she said that he was going upstairs to fight Hulk Hogan. Moments later there were thudding sounds, and Kurt Angle (who I'm pretty sure Bob Sapp had morphed into) said, "Sounds like the Hulkster took care of business." AND THEN... THE BIG BOSSMAN'S MUSIC PLAYED!

Photobucket

This was a wacky dream.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Your dreams are fun!

Also, warning: I found out the hard way that my voicemail "cleans out" messages after a year, so you should try to find some way to save messages that you want before then.

You should get us a video of this Hackenschmidt thing for next wrestling night! Or a film strip or whatever.

Andy said...

Yeah, I've been manually re-saving them every so often, but I'm not sure if that will work forever or not.

As for the Gotch match, it's one of wrestling's great mysteries as to whether or not there are any film reels still remaining of it. The earliest full match I've ever seen was a 1920 bout at the original Madison Square Garden between Joe Stecher and Earl Caddock. There are small clips here and there of earlier stuff, but I don't know if any full matches have survived from before that.

In regards to wrestling night, I actually do have something special planned as an addition to the RoH: Driven pay per view which I'll reveal in glorious detail on Wednesday's post-BRObama '08 blog update. Make room on your calendar for Tuesday, the 18th.

Unknown said...

Even in your subconscious, Ray Traylor fails to get his comeuppance.

Unknown said...

ps - I fucked Bob Sapp's mama.

Poobis said...

*ahem*

Broin' Down XVIII BRObama '08
11/11/08 19:00

Andy said...

Don't forget Dave's XP disc.

Unknown said...

As an ostensible McCain supporter (old, sick, in bathrobe and grumpy) I will unfortunately not be making BRObama.

I am not a real American. I will not fight for everyman.

Poobis said...

I forgot Dave's XP disk.

Amanda said...

What is the secret announcement!?!?@?@?@?@