Friday, June 30, 2006

N-O-T-O-R-I-O, U-S You Just, Lay Down, Slow

I think it's about time for an update.

Last night, under the heaven'ly cover of ear'ly evening, I rode my trusty bicycle to Studio 35, where a fine double bill of Thank You For Smoking, and The Notorious Bettie Page were featured. Having seen Thank You For Smoking previously, this time I was really able to focus on how miscast Katie Holmes was as the scheming reporter, and how it really brought down an otherwise classic satire.

Bettie Page however, was something I had no real expectations of going in. It wasn't a great movie by any means. I might not even go so far as to call it good. But it was fascinating.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Gretchen Mol in the role

Prior to seeing the film, I really knew next to nothing of Bettie Page, only being aware of her through calendar reproductions and such, and now I feel like I have some sort of appreciation to how big she really was in her time. It was also helpful of Gretchen Mol to take her top off several times. I feel I got to know the character much better that way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bettie for realsies

Andrew and I opened a dialogue yesterday about going to see Puffy AmiYumi when they hit Cincinnati on Friday, July 14th. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 at the door. Any outside interest from the blog nation?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wild Girls On The Circuit

Hit me back, just to chat, your biggest fan, sincerely yours, this is... Napz.

4 comments:

Funky D said...

Well blogged, sir. I'm jealous of you seeing that double feature, but if I had gone, funk night would have been a mess. Puffy Amiyumi should be sweeet.

Anonymous said...

But will they perform the titular song for Teen Titans?

Andy said...

I... would say almost certainly.

Anonymous said...

Damn missing the point andy the real band played in Chicago but was only an opener so I could not justify the 10 hours of driving and the nearly destroying myself for thirty minutes of music.

Who was it. The Pillows, Puffy Amiyumi had a really good variety show in Japan but their music leaves me wanting. Call me Crazy.