It wasn't as good as the previous three movies, I can say that for sure. That's not really a criticism either, as I think it would have been expecting too much to assume that it would be. I've seen people call this chapter too much like an action movie, but to that I say "Pshaah." "Dawn of the Dead" was a friggin' comic book come to life, so don't tell me that this is a departure for Romero. The only real differences in this movie from the others were;
(1) The pacing, as Night, Dawn and Day take a while to get going but suck you in with their story, while this movie just flies for its entire 88 minute running time. It seems like every two minutes someone is getting devoured.
(2) A total lack of isolationism and claustrophobia. There's a very palpable sense of impending doom in the first three movies, but this one feels wide open. That feeling added a lot to the atmosphere of the earlier movies and it was missed here.
I didn't have a problem with Big Black Che Guevara, as the zombies have been getting progressively more intelligent throughout the series, so it stayed consistent.
All of the deaths were fabulous, especially the soldier falling on his grenade.
In short, million billion stars.
Now, next item:
Wednesday, June 29th, 8 pm: B Movies and Beer/faggy Woodchuck Cider, part... um... let's call it Eight.
The flicks being featured on this evening are the Wes Craven classic "The People Under the Stairs" (sorry, no Thes One or Double K sightings here), and because it's his month, George Romero's vampire flick "Martin", which is still unwatched by me.
So yeah, be there and stuff.

No, not YOU guys!

There, THAT'S more like it.

I can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment