Saturday, February 14, 2009

Even underlining Nabokov, when I am not in love, in love

I don't really think I ascribe any kind of special meaning to Valentine's Day, but it does always seem to force me to shine a light on my own personal life every year.

I've been talking to my doctors of late about the possibility, and perhaps even likelihood, that I'm never going to really get any better than I am right now, and that I need to stop looking for a cure and instead begin figuring out how I can live my life with the limitations I have. It's a sobering thought.

Holding a job, going back to school, getting a place of my own, all very daunting challenges, but none seem so elusive as simply dating. I really can't do much. I have to cancel plans all the time at the last minute due to dizziness, or due to dizziness related injuries (such as my sprained ankle). I count four concussions in the past six months. Even if there was a woman out there who I got along with and liked who was able to look past all of this, I don't know if I would feel comfortable letting her do it.

No comments: