Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Idealistically Depleted

I was watching some commercial today and some old song (can't remember what it was now, but that's not important) is playing and I like this song, so I'm kind of jammin' along. It was probably a jeans ad or somebody trying to sell me a Mac. At any rate, I have this moment of realization, like "OMGZ they're using this beautiful piece of music to sell a product that's not the album it first appeared on!" So I sat there with that thought in my head for a couple of seconds, rolled it around, and realized something: fuck that noise. If artists want to license their music to make some extra dough, why should I care one bit? How does it affect me, or for that matter, 99% of the people who complain about such things? We all need to stop being such little bitches about this. At the end of the day, music is an industry.

That is all.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Then I suggest that the artists read their contracts before signing them.

If they don't have the kind of leverage to maintain the rights to their catalogues, then I guess it's the price one pays for a glimmer of commercial success.

Anonymous said...

Wise. I can't know how I'd feel in the unlikely event that I would be in that situation, but I'd like to think I'd be flattered. But then, what if it were something REALLY cheesy?

Andy said...

What, like using [i]Fortunate Son[/i] to sell jeans?

FUCK YOU, WRANGLER

Andy said...

WHAT!? Wrong HTML!? BOOOOOOOO!