Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ultimate Fighting Nappyonship

So... wacky news. I'm going to be in a fight on September 22nd. And no, I'm not going to go to a bar and just pick one. I'm going into a ring instead.

A friend of mine who used to promote wrestling in Columbus and then moved away to Chicago for a while, is back in town with the idea to promote MMA shows. He asked me if I wanted to do it on the undercard of his first show.

And I said yes.

Now, I've told five people up till this point. The first three responses were all negative, and I was doubting it, but thankfully, Davekwon and Ad-Rock (just trying it out, Adam) think it's an awesome idea. There's been talk of promotional t-shirts!

Now, before any of y'all get scairt for my safety and such, my opponent is some dork (apologies if he's reading this) right out of high school with no fighting or athletic background to speak of. I actually broached this subject with Cody earlier on (he was one of the non-supporters).

Andy: He just started watching The Ultimate Fighter this year and I guess he's Joe MMA all of a sudden.

Cody: HIS NAME IS JOE MMA? Dude, he sounds awesome. Just call it off already.

I love Cody.

My promoter friend has pledged to work with me on boxing, and Adam is going to help me with takedown defense and improving my sprawl, and I've just go to be disciplined and get into the best shape of my life.

As I told Adam, I'm actually looking more forward to the training than the fight itself. I haven't had a reason to be in shape in years, and now I have a real goal and such.

This is not going to become a full time gig for me or anything. It's just something I want to try, so I'm going to.

Expect updates on how training and such is going over the next nine weeks or so, right up until the fight itself. I'm pretty excited. I think it's going to be a blast.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hopefully me in two months. On the top, not the bottom. God willing.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holllaaaaaaa

Anonymous said...

^ Wow @ that.

Andy said...

If it were an elaborate prank, I would only reveal it to be so after fifteen or so fights. Then, with my face permanently disfigured from fighting Joe MMA many time, I would say "Haha. BURN!"

Anonymous said...

sounds like a scam. people die in ultimate fighting, if you arent careful you could be 'people' if you catch my drift.

Anonymous said...

As many people die in ultimate fighting walking out their front doors.

Heh, I'll bet that there are more people who die posting anonymously on blogs than in ultimate fighting.

They stop the fight if you're not intelligently defending yourself.

Andy said...

There's been exactly one MMA death in the 70 years the sport has existed, and it was at an unsanctioned event in Russia which was caused by strikes to the head. So it was basically a boxing death.

Plus, there is honor in tapping out and saving yourself to fight another day in this sport. Look at boxing. Roberto Duran said "no mas" and his career was never the same. There isn't the same pressure to absolutely kill yourself in MMA.

Funky D said...

I don't know, though, you are fighting Joe MMA. I mean fuck, they named the sport after him. I'm sure that the only honor he knows about is fighting...TO THE DEATH!!!

Andy said...

"Anonymous" is Jason. Oh, and this is off topic, but on my June 30th post re: Studio 35 and Puffy Ami Yumi, is that god damn Carey Hall who commented last?

Anonymous said...

you sheep, of course they dont publicize al the fight related deaths that occur, alot of people would be turned off by the ind of bloodbath that this is in reality, there is an average 17 deaths a day related to ultimate fighting.


its a scam because whoever dies in this fight, and hopefully it wont be andy will be delivered to the coroners office with about half his organs removed for sale on the black market.


wake up people.

Anonymous said...

I dont watch TV, and im not Jason.



P.S. i fucked your mother

Anonymous said...

but seriously im not jason and my TV doesnt have CN in the channel list and i lost the remote control so i cant watch CN... ever.


it just skips over it. if I were jason I would be pissed.

Andy said...

OMG GIMME MILLION BILLION COPEEZ!

Anonymous said...

Argh! Andrew stole my response! On an even more alarming note, A fight???

Andy said...

Keith, we'll talk. Don't worry. I'll need you to help me with thug-jitsu training.

Anonymous said...

Please be careful!
V