Wednesday, September 07, 2005
RIP Maynard G. Krebs
While he's the worst of the two famous dead people named after an awesome Colorado city, I'll always have a place in my heart for Bob Denver. I remember moving back to Columbus from Fairfield County in 1990 and getting cable for the first time (since I was 2, at least). All I watched was Nick at Nite and "WWF Superstars", pretty much right up until "Rugrats" debuted in 1993. Anyway, aside from the standards like "Bewitched", "the Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Donna Reed", there was "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis". I LOVED that show. Loved it like, yes, a fat kid loves cake. I don't remember anything about it aside from Dobie frequently visiting the statue of "The Thinker", and Bob Denver's awesome goatee, but I loved it. So when Nick at Nite took it off the air and started running wack ass "Gilligan's Island", I was understandably pissed. Primarily because "Gilligan's Island" is a terrible, terrible show. I predict that somebody will forget that in the next couple years and make a big screen adaptation, but it won't stop being true. So Bob, you'll always be Maynard G. Krebs to me. Peace outside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Dobie Gillis rocked!
Before we got cable TV, the local UHF channel played old TV re-runs. At 6:00 each night Dobie Gillis would start. They followed that up with Hogans Heroes. What an awesome night of television.
Then we got cable... and a year later MTV stopped playing videos. TV started to lose its luster after that.
I'm down to 5 or so hours of TV a month.
I am picking up my DVR box tonight. If I can fast forward through the bowflex commercials I think I can bear to watch again...
Make sure to watch the most recent Bowflex commercial as often as possible. It's got the most spurt-tastic 50 year old woman I've ever seen.
Noted. :-D
Post a Comment