Monday, July 25, 2005

Yeah, it's an entire post about black sitcoms

Does anybody remember "Where I Live?" It was the first thing I ever saw Doug E. Doug in, and there was an episode where he found an old issue of National Geographic and glimpsed a nude picture of his mother performing in "Hair." Moms was fine in that show. Flex Alexander, future "Homeboys in Outer Space" luminary, played Doug's best chum. Nobody gives Doug E. Doug work anymore. What's the deal with that? He's Doug E. Doug. HE WAS IN CLASS ACT. What more do you want from the man? He sang the Jamaican Bobsled song. He weathered the latter day "Cosby" along with the dearly departed Madeline Kahn.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The fact that no better picture of Doug E. Doug was readily available tells you what an awful state of affairs this world is in. But look at Leon, holdin' it down!

I always wanted Bill and Phylicia to get together. I know she's with Ahmad Rashad and everything, but it's Cliff and Clair. They're made for one another. I think I saw Elvin on an episode of "Law and Order" a couple of weeks ago. He really should have been the breakout star of that show. Little Kenny made it out okay, but the sky should have been the limit for Elvin.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Feel the chemistry

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Elvin's fat face of hatred, scorned by mainstream entertainment.

They need to start re-running "Thea" on BET or something. I watched that show. I had respect for that show because it didn't feel the need to shoehorn in a token white character when that was the thing to do. Even "Martin," a show that I have endless admiration for, had that wack ass DJ at the radio station who served no purpose other than to be white and get yelled at by Garrett Morris.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Uncle Rico > DJ Shawn

"Thea" was friggin' great because it had Brandy, AND the older brother from "Smart Guy." In fact, "Thea" only could have been better if it had been called "Mo'Nique." I just looked it up and she was only on three episodes of "Moesha," and was able to get a spinoff based on that. I don't care what you think of her. THAT'S impressive.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Thea shows love to the common man

Speaking of "Moesha," I've been watching that on Noggin (or "the N" as the kidz are calling it these days) recently because a few months ago Andrew and I were at a show at Bourbon Street and I was more captivated by Bernie Mac's guest spot on the re-run than by the band. God bless closed captioning. So, Bernie isn't a regular, but "Moesha" is a heck of a show in its own right. The fact that Fredro Starr from Onyx is continually popping up for no real good reason just endears me to it even more.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Fredro sez: "Bacdafucup!"

It's too bad that they don't run "Keenan and Kel" anymore, but I'm sure after Keenan Thompson becomes a major Hollywood player thanks to his brilliant SNL run, they'll bring it back and we can all lauf and lauf together. Ken Foree playing Keenan's dad might be that show's only redeeming quality, but if you have to pick one redeeming quality to posses, it's hard to go wrong with that one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
If you talk about the dead walking the Earth, you can get away with wearing the gayest coat ever.

That's all for today, children. Come back next time as I wax hysterical on "George Lopez," "Chico and the Man" and... uh, yeah, I'm all out.

11 comments:

Funky D said...

Beautiful post, sir. "Where I live" was awesome.

Anonymous said...

Andy -

Your words are poetry. Beautiful, beautiful write-up. And it's because of your singular eloquence that I implore you to speak truth to power and school the masses on this tragedy: that George Lopez and Chico the Man, as scant as they are still double-up the fuck outta All-American Girl.

[kehnny]

Anonymous said...

Remember Goo from Keenan & Kel? I do.

Anonymous said...

Sunuva bitch, I just ordered that coat from overstock.com!

Andy said...

Chops, I think you can almost pull it off though. You'll look sleazy, but in a good way.

Anonymous said...

nothin about the Fresh Prince? lets try and step up our game, k napper?

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed both because Fresh Prince was omitted and that I didn't notice.

Anonymous said...

update plz

Andy said...

The Man, you are a gimmick poster and that went out with "0VVn3d", so don't tell me by biznass. I'll update when I have better access to the Internet.

Anonymous said...

whoa napper, you dont have to be so hostile. just calm down. oh, and update plz. thnx. :o)

Anonymous said...

*yawn* Lame, lame, lame. Well, at least 'the man' is amusing his anonymous self.

[kehntemptuous]