Monday, July 26, 2004

The Keithertaker will be the end of us all



That picture is scary as Hell. Thank God Keith doesn't read my blog or I might have vengeance laid upon me.

Onward and upward.

This has been quite the movie week for me. Aside from "Catwoman" on Tuesday, which I've already written about, I went to see "I, Robot" on Thursday, and "Dodgeball" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" on Friday. I'd already seen the lattermost two, so I'm going to focus on "I, Robot" for now.

That was just a big batch of fun. I was working downtown at French Tailors and decided to head over to the Arena Grand to catch a 2:45 showing, and I'm so glad that I did. My curiosity about the movie had been piqued over the past week in an unexpected way, as Jason gave me his spare copy of the Asimov book (I don't know why he had a spare copy. That's how Jason gets down I guess), and I really loved most of the stories. So I basically went into the film ready to hate it, bracing myself for any liberties they took with the source material. To my surprise, there were none. Well, Doctor Susan Calvin was a hot twenty-something chick, but I can live with that. Other than this, the movie didn't try to tread in the book's world. It used the Three Laws of Robotics as its base and went from there. A lot of fun. Only one real laugh out loud cliched action movie moment and a minimum of witty banter too, so I was impressed by the restraint. My favorite scene is when Will pulls off the face of one of the robots and it's DJ JAZZY JEFF in disguise. Will is all like, "Damn ni**a, what'choo doin in this flick?" and Jazzy is like, "WHERE'S MY FUCKING MOVIE CAREER, HUH? DIE MOTHERFUCKAAAAAA!!!!!!".... now THAT was cool!

"Dodgeball" I've written about before, and it was awesome again. I've never really had occasion to write my thoughts on "Fahrenheit 9/11" though, so here goes:

A lot of people (the right) have condemned this movie (most without seeing it, probably) as being propaganda. They say that a documentary should provide both sides of an argument and that otherwise it's compromised. Aside from immediately thinking about a World War II documentary that would let the Nazis tell their side, I really began to wonder if this made any sense at all. The answer: no.

There's a difference between a film having a point of view and a film being base propoganda. Having an agenda does not mean a documentary will be bad. It just means that some people will write it off without seeing it because it's a convenient excuse for the lazy or the unbelieving.

But, some quick thoughts:

As a two hour blooper reel of Dubya and Company, it was very fine.

Nobody does musical transitions quite like Michael Moore.

That's about it. It was a powerful movie, but not on par with "Bowling for Columbine" or "Roger and Me". The only people I've encountered who had really negative things to say about it are people who had no reply when confronted with the question, "Have you SEEN the movie?" so that should tell you something. It IS a polarizing movie. But most of the people who hate it don't matter, because they're never going to see it. "I don't watch trash. The place for trash isn't in my living room." Whatevs.

No comments: