Sunday, February 29, 2004

Supermarket standoff ends and A Mighty Wind

Well, the California grocery store strike is finally over. I've been following it pretty closely because it was EVERYWHERE in Sacramento when I was there. Sadly, it looks like the union pretty much took it without lube on this one. The employers got more or less everything they wanted, and a lot of good people lost a lot of their time and money.

Joss Whedon is writing an X-Book starting in May. That makes me really happy. I'm sure it will be full of snappy dialogue, arbitrary homosexual characters and other things that Lee will point out to make me shove the comic down his throat.

I re-watched "A Mighty Wind" last night, and I have to say something about it.

The American awards system is complete fucking bullshit because Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara WON'T get two Oscars and two Grammys for their flawless musical and acting performances in this movie. The movie itself is better than WAITING FOR GUFFMAN, BEST IN SHOW and SPINAL TAP because none of those movies ever conjured Mitch and Mickey or ever produced such deep and beautifully developed characters. The drives and longings of the characters mixed with the legitimately beautiful folk songs they sing to each other is fucking superior to all else. If you don't cry during the kiss, you ain't no fucking friend of mine.

I'm tempted to say that in the past decade Eugene Levy has made the greatest Hollywood comeback EVER, but shit... he's been here for years.

And you know what? That's not even mentioning all the Fred Willardry.

I never thought I would be more endeared to a comedy than I am to Annie Hall, but this is that comedy. See it now. A Million billion stars.

No comments: