Good catch. I had noticed a lot of holes in the premise of that show (mostly having to do with physics) but the sociological angle had never occurred to me.
It's not like he even could have still been a Duke. They just wouldn't have had that. What a weird tie-in show.
I'm a little bit hazy on the premise of the show all these years later, but I just remember thinking he was a complete dork because he was always being foiled by tiny bears.
I never hated on Gargamel for not being able to keep up with Smurfs. Double standard?
Not at all. Everybody knew about the Gummi Bears. Duke Igthorn should have just concocted a fear/smear campaign to turn all the kingdom's people against them. Soon enough, the strong kid will accidentally kill a baby, he goes to the gallows, they hunt down the Gummis. Duke Igthorn is a friggin' idiot.
Now, Gargamel? First of all, hardly any other human being even believes in the damn things. His mother was horrible to him, probably shoved a butter-churn stick up his... errrr, anyhow. He was trying to make gold and/or eat them. Poor dude was nuts, and if the cat couldn't stop them, why would we expect that Gargamel could have?
Wasn't the poor king of Dunwyn or whatever blissfully unaware of the Bears, despite his daughter being saved by them eighteen billion times? I can't really recall. I loved that show though.
4 comments:
Good catch. I had noticed a lot of holes in the premise of that show (mostly having to do with physics) but the sociological angle had never occurred to me.
It's not like he even could have still been a Duke. They just wouldn't have had that. What a weird tie-in show.
I'm a little bit hazy on the premise of the show all these years later, but I just remember thinking he was a complete dork because he was always being foiled by tiny bears.
I never hated on Gargamel for not being able to keep up with Smurfs. Double standard?
Not at all. Everybody knew about the Gummi Bears. Duke Igthorn should have just concocted a fear/smear campaign to turn all the kingdom's people against them. Soon enough, the strong kid will accidentally kill a baby, he goes to the gallows, they hunt down the Gummis. Duke Igthorn is a friggin' idiot.
Now, Gargamel? First of all, hardly any other human being even believes in the damn things. His mother was horrible to him, probably shoved a butter-churn stick up his... errrr, anyhow. He was trying to make gold and/or eat them. Poor dude was nuts, and if the cat couldn't stop them, why would we expect that Gargamel could have?
Wasn't the poor king of Dunwyn or whatever blissfully unaware of the Bears, despite his daughter being saved by them eighteen billion times? I can't really recall. I loved that show though.
Post a Comment