Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Getting 2008 started on a light note

My Aunt Elsie died last night at Mount Carmel East. She suffered a stroke about two weeks back and had been unconscious ever since. She was finally taken off the respirator four days ago, and last night slipped away from lack of oxygen. There was no pain, and her brain activity was too low for their to have been any real awareness of what was happening to her. Her body just gave out after eighty-two years. To be honest, I'm relieved for her. She's not been well for any of this decade, really. I worry about my grandmother though. Elsie was her closest sister, and the only one still living in Ohio. For my grandma, death is the worst thing that can ever happen to a person, and I hate to see her in pain, struggling with this. I don't really know how she's going to cope with it in the long run. Those two were inseparable for their entire lives together. I tried to talk to her this morning, but everything I had to offer seemed so lame.

I've had loss in my life, as have we all, but not like that. Both parents, a brother in the war, one sister after another... it's the price of having a long life yourself. I'd better learn how to cope if I'm going to make it to 120.

In short, I love my Aunt Elsie, but I'm glad that she's at peace. I just have to figure out what I can do, if anything, to ease my grandma's suffering.

2 comments:

Funky D said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Andy. Let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

i'm attempting to catch up here and just saw this glandy... i sorry, but like you said, she's at peace. and she saw more than 80 years! that's amazing!!!!! =)