From Dean Rasmussen over at the Death Valley Driver board, pretty much summing up exactly how I feel about Eddy Guerrero, minus the parts about having kids and stuff.
"I watched all the wrestlers talking about how Eddy affected their lives over on WWE.com and I wept like any wrestling fan would. I'm still trying to get my head around this. I didn't know Eddy. But he does represent a large part of my life. All 2,850 of y'all are here because me and some other folks wrote about wrestling because we were basically inspired by Eddy Guerrero's art after seeing him in ECW in 1995. He led me to Lucha and the divine life lessons that brings. Eddy led me to Puroresu and inflamed my passion in the MOTHERFUCKING PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING that hadn't been stoked since I saw Dick Murdock and Harley Race live in Arkansas when I was 12. Eddy was 38 and I'm 39. Mike Tyson let me down. Hershel Walker let me down. Eddy didn't let me down. He was a large part of what I consider my generation to be in my eyes. Eddy has died and a part of a very rewarding part of my life died with him- the part of your life when you are no longer a child and no longer a young rebel but you are a MAN and you have the truly empowered feeling of grabbing the world and making it yours. I've had four children since I first saw Eddy wrestle 2 Cold Scorpio in ECW Arena. I've come to grips with what I think is important in my whole motherfucking life and one of the things that gave me insight into what is important in my life was the fact that Eddy Guerrero showed me that something dear to me- the Professional Wrestling- is worth finding spiritual cartharsis in and that my upbringing and my memories and my shared experiences with with my brother and my friends through wrestling are IMPORTANT and legitimate. Fuck it. My favorite wrestler of all time is dead. I'll be a man and find a new favorite wrestler and show my children the beauty of the art. "
That made me cry all over again. God damn it. Even I don't take wrestling as seriously as this guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment